Microwave Networks’ Radios, Cyber Security,
and Networking Products
Microwave Networks provides the most reliable and flexible microwave radios in the industry, ensuring mission critical reliability and network availability. Our radios provide high capacity throughput, are protected by cyber security controls, and integrate with MPLS networking.
- 4-80 GHz
- Licensed & Unlicensed
- Hybrid Native TDM and Native Ethernet
- Indoor, Split Mount, Outdoor
- Design, Build, Support Technical Services
- Cyber Security
- Advanced Networking/MPLS
Select a product below to learn more about a particular solution.
Native TDM and native Ethernet/IP Transport Radio
The Proteus MX is a mission critical Ethernet/TDM Hybrid radio. Designed for bandwidth speeds up to 350 Mbps, it offers Ethernet and TDM signaling in a single, feature rich, and fault tolerant platform, allowing easy migration from TDM legacy networks to Ethernet. The Proteus MX is designed with redundancy of all traffic and overhead channels and with automatic switchover. These features makes it the perfect choice for Public Safety, Government, Utility, and Critical Infrastructure networks.
- 6,7,8,11,13,15,18,23,26,38 GHz
- 6 to 350 Mbps
- Native Ethernet and Native TDM
- 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet
- 4 to 128 DS1; 1 to 4 DS3; OC-3/STM-1
- All Indoor or Split Mount configurations
- 1+0, 1+1, 2+0, Space Diversity, Frequency Diversity
- VLAN using IEEE 802.1p & 802.1Q for Traffic Class priorities (QoS)
- Adaptive Code Modulation (ACM)
- Ethernet Rapid Ring Protection (RRP)
- TDM SHARP self healing ring protection
- Errorless diversity switching protection
- Complete hot-standby protection
- Redundancy of all active components
- FIPS 140-2 Level 2 validated
- AES 128 and 256 Encryption
- Secure Network Management with SNMPv3
- Built-in chart recorder for real-time diagnostics
- MPLS ready
- Public Safety, Government, Utilities, and Critical Infrastructure networks
Cyber Security controls and protection
The Proteus CyberShield is a cyber security gateway (industrial switch/router) with unique capabilities that enable human-to- machine and service-aware machine-to- machine security controls and safeguards for end point devices and remote terminal units (RTUs) such as microwave radios. CyberShield provides security controls for unsecured remote devices.
- Identity Management Access Control (human-machine)
- 802.1x Access Control (device-device)
- Firewall Access Control List (ACL)
- Cellular modem redundancy (VPN)
- Integrates to Network Management Systems (NMS)
A key feature of CyberShield is a built-in Identity Management (IM) access control. Identity Management provides access control identity management of maintenance personnel accessing remote terminal units at remote sites. CyberShield is an electronic control point that governs and enforces identity, authentication, authorization, and accounting of maintenance personnel who work on remote devices. In addition, Proteus CyberShield controls device-to-device access, authentication, and accounting, providing layered security controls.
6-38 GHz licensed all outdoor radios
Proteus OIP is Microwave Networks’ complete Ethernet transport solution for networking with stringent zero footprint installation requirements.
It is ideal for use in Public Safety, Utility, Railroad and LTE networks. This fully featured radio is fast and easy to install and is ideal for use in ring topologies and MPLS networks; and1+1 hot-standby protection also provides high reliability in networks where alternate route protection is not possible.
By eliminating the need for rack space in shelters or enclosures, Proteus OIP+ offers the perfect solution for low impact installation while providing carrier-grade service and reliability with a rapid ROI.
- 36 to 360 Mbps
- Frequencies: 6,7, 8, 11, 15, 18, 23, 26 & 38 GHz
- Configurations: All Outdoor 1+0, 1+1
- Features: Hitless Adaptive Code & Modulation
- Automatic Transmit Power Control
- 10/100/1000 Base T RJ-45 Ethernet
- SFP Optical 1000 Base X Ethernet
- MEF 9, MEF 14 compliant
- QoS, Q-in-Q
- Synchronous Ethernet, G.8261/8262/8264
- IEEE 1588v2 Precision Time Protocol support
- Ethernet OAM – IEEE 802.1ag, ITU-T Y1731
4.9 and 5.8 GHz lightly licensed PTP and PMTP radios
Unlicensed and Licensed Carrier Grade Wireless Bridge
Proteus UMX offers one of the most advanced point-to-multipoint wireless bridge in the market. Its OFDM waveform and 2×2 dual-polarization MIMO architecture along with an innovative traffic discrimination algorithm delivers an unprecedented aggregate net throughput of up to 310 Mbps. By analyzing the actual traffic load, the system dynamically optimizes the uplink and downlink capacity, providing net throughput of up to 310 Mbps in a single direction.
Specifically designed for robust operation in congested areas with high levels of RF interference, Proteus UMX eliminates false reception of background noise via a unique Automatic Interference Sensibility (AIS) algorithm, guaranteeing stable performance while maintaining a constant latency and throughput.
- Superior net throughput – 310 Mbps
- Dynamic Asymmetric Capacity
- Very low latency – 1ms typical
- More than 60,000 PPS (packets per second)
- Configurable channel bandwidth – 5/10/20/40 MHz
- Point-to-Point and Point-to-Multipoint modes
- Radio Frequencies:
900 MHz, 2.0 – 2.3 GHz, 2.3 – 2.7 GHz, 3.3-3.8 GHz, 4.4-4.6 GHz, ,
4.8-4.95 GHz, 4.95-5.15 GHz, 5.15-5.25 GHz, 5.25-5.35 GHz, 5.725-5.85 GHz
- Automatic Inference Sensibility (AIS)
- Time Synchronization
- MIMO Radio – higher capacity, longer range, diversity
- Hitless ACM (Adaptive Coding & Modulation)
- Automatic Channel Selection (ACS)
- Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS)
- Automatic Transmit Power Control (ATPC)
- Forward Error Correct (FEC)
- Fast Automatic Retransmit request (ARQ)
- WEB, EMS, SNMP and Telnet management
- QoS based on 802.1Q & 802.1p
- VLAN tagging/stripping
- Up/downstream bandwidth control
- Packet filtering – based on broadband & VLAN
- Over the air remote management
- 128-bit AES encryption & MAC level authentication
Ease of Ownership
- Rugged & reliable weather resistant design
- Compact and simple to use
- RSSI buzzer for easy alignment
- Built-in RF Analyzer
- Built-in power redundancy
- “Green” operation: under 6W consumption
- Multiple frequency bands in the same radio
70-80 GHz high capacity short haul radios
The Microwave Networks Proteus E-Band radio is a high capacity wireless bridge, ideal for short haul applications, serving as a primary path between campus buildings where is fiber is not available or not feasible.
- Mobile backhaul
- Fiber extension
- Small cell deployments
- Wi-Fi offload backhaul
- Security cameras
- Campus connectivity
- Capacity aggregation
- 70 – 80 GHz Bands
- 1 to 5 Gbps FDD
- Simple, fast licensing
- Layer 2 switch
- QoS and VLAN capabilities
- Compact all outdoor design
- SNMP NMS
Advanced Networking MPLS
Multi Protocol Label Switching
MPLS (multi protocol label switching) enables transition from legacy to IP networks, transporting voice, data, and video. MPLS solves the problem of transporting multiple technologies over a single medium while ensuring security and guaranteed delivery of high priority communications. It is especially suitable for dynamic and growing P25 and LTE networks.
In addition, local city and county government organizations can share bandwidth efficiently among different departments utilizing a single shared network, rather than several purpose built networks.
Microwave Networks has integrated MPLS with its Proteus MX radios in several public safety and utilities networks over the years. We have developed scripts to integrate MPLS with Proteus MX radios.
Microwave Networks focuses on mission critical MPLS applications. Our MPLS designs provide Mission Critical functions including,
- Pre-planned Paths
- Automatic Fast Reroute
- Traffic Prioritization – Class of Service (Quality of Service)
- Traffic Prioritization under various Adaptive Code & Modulation rates
- VPN encryption
- Dynamic bandwidth
- Network segmentation
Network managers control where and how data flows. Paths are pre-planned, often based on best paths for speed, capacity, latency, jitter, and redundancy.
Network Management Systems
Network and element management
To help simplify management, each of our microwave radios employs the standard SNMP protocol which allows the flexibility to tie into existing management systems, or become the framework for its own.
Among the many features of our radios which facilitate SNMP management are embedded routers, across-the-hop IP transport, Ethernet bridges, and peer-to-peer connectivity. Product-specific element management programs shipped with each system, can be run from a laptop or central manager to allow complete access to any or all radio terminals. The embedded features mentioned above combined with a standard SNMP manager, gives a network operator complete flexibility and control of his network and its individual components.
SPARCS SNMP NMS
Unlimited Remote Access. Support for up to 25,000 devices per license.
Provides complete network management capabilities to monitor and control the entire microwave radio infrastructure.
Built-in diagnostic tool to aid in troubleshooting path or propagation related issues.
The Network Health Mobile Application
NHMA is a web application that monitors a network of Microwave Networks radio links and reports the network’s state to users on their mobile smart phones, tablets or laptops. The NHMA server can be accessed by users on the corporate intranet, and can also be made available (through the corporate firewall) to employees over the public Internet. The NHMA is a pure web application that is accessed through the client devices’ web browsers, so no client software installation is required. The NHMA runs in parallel with the existing Microwave Networks Element Manager and Microwave Networks Element Management System, supplementing but not replacing them.
- Notifies mobile users when problems occur via email or SMS text
- Lists the radio links by the categories of problems, giving a quick overview of the overall network state.
- Gives a summary of the state of any particular link, including key performance statistics and a complete list of current alarms.
- Integrated access to street maps (showing radio terminal locations) and current National Weather radar maps.
- Provides a summary of performance of each link and the entire network over last 24 hours